Monday 22 June 2015

Broiling Trout


I've tried a couple of recipes already and they tasted rather good, if incredibly rich ( Hannah starts out nearly everything with butter rolled in flour, sack and cream). So I've practised a bit, but today I want to prepare a trout. Oddly Hannah has no Trout recipes, but she does have a fun one for Herrings, so I will use that one. She says it can be used for other small fish as well, and this trout is rather small - more importantly it still has it's head on which is what I will need for the sauce.

To Broil Herrings ( or in this case Trout they are seasonal at midsummer)
Scale them, gut them, cut off their heads, wash them clean and dry them in a cloth, flour them and broil them, but with your knife just notch them across: take the heads and mash them, boil them in small beer or ale, with a little whole pepper and onion. Let it boil a quarter of an hour, then strain it, thicken it with butter and flour and a good deal of mustard. Lay the fish in the dish, and pour the sauce into a bason, or plain melted butter and mustard.

In my next post I'll tell you what happened ...

No comments:

Post a Comment