Monday 29 June 2015

A delicious Pupton of Apples

I love the name of this recipe - a Pupton. (I've started calling my youngest daughter my little Pupton, but I won't make it a permanent thing).
When I first read the recipe I though it was a sort of pudding because you can mould it, but it actually only really err... stiffens up, when it is cooled off completely. Then you can mould it into a ramikin shape, or cup cakes, or whatever you like I also thought you can put the mixture in a muffin tine and make little puptons. I served it warm from the oven with a sprinkling of cinnamon. We had Salmon Pie that night and I thought it was a pleasant summery side dish, it would be a good accompaniment for a Pork Roast as well, but that is personal taste, it's a sweet and delicious thick apple pudding in it's own right.

A Pupton of Apples.
Pare some apples,take out the cores, and put them in a skillet ( I used one of those cast iron deep pans with a lid):to a quart-mugful heaped,put in a quarter of a pound of sugar,and two spoonfuls of water. Do them over a slow fire, keep them stirring,add a little cinnamon;when it is quite thick ,and like a marmalade, let it stand till cool. Beat up the yolks of four or five eggs, and stir in a handful of grated bread and a quarter of a pound of fresh butter; then form it in what shape you please, and bake it in a slow oven,and then turn it upside down on a plate, for a second course.

I turned it upside down too soon, and it looked like the picture below. Again, if you let it cool completely then it may be moulded into what shape you please!

No comments:

Post a Comment